Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Free Ride

We are Catholic, Tim since infancy and me since April 2005, and the most common question to a Catholic during this time is "What did you give up for Lent?" The concept is simple: we should deprive ourselves of something to remember the deprivation Jesus felt those 40 days and 40 nights in the desert. I had been thinking over the last few weeks about something meaningful I would "give up", but couldn't come to a decision.
As I drove to work this morning I heard a song on the radio that really put things into perspective. I was tired and irritable after waking several times in the night with Max and really not wanting to go to work when the words of this song woke me up: "My best friend gave me the best advice, each day is a gift and not a given right . . . Don't take a free ride in your own life."
I realized that I often take my own life and all it entails completely for granted. SO many people would give anything to have a baby to wake up to and a great job to go to. Some people aren't even physically able to get out of bed. I am fortunate to have many blessings in my life.
So, what will I give up for Lent? I give up my free ride. I give up taking my life for granted.
I will spend these days focusing on being grateful and appreciative.

3 comments:

Witkowski Family said...

What a great thing to "give up" Rachel, can't wait to hear how it goes and what you get out of the experience!

erin said...

I may have to follow your lead on this one! The kids were pretty definitive on what they were giving up, but I've been back and forth and nothing seems very meaningful. This definitely would be...

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

You are my hero. Thanks